Groundwater dependent ecosystems (GDEs) face multiple pressures related to public water supply, intensive agricultural land-use and land management practices, and pollution from industrial and household waste. Since the implementation of the Water Framework Directive significant effort has been put into characterising GDEs and assessing the threats to them. However, these threats may change under future environmental change.
This meeting presented current scientific research in addition to addressing issues around characterisation, conceptualisation, monitoring, modelling, and management within the context of environmental change.
- Protecting groundwater dependent wetlands from significant damage; recent experience and new threshold values
- The WFD wetland chemical test – what have we learnt from last time around?
- Determination of nutrient threshold values relevant to groundwater-dependent terrestrial ecosystems (GWDTEs) in Ireland: progress and challenges
- Integrating hydrogeology, hydrology and ecology to assess the impact of abstractions on groundwater dependent ecosystems
- Groundwater Dependent Ecosystems in Karst: An Assessment of Pant y Llyn, Wales’ only turlough and comparison to Irish sites
- Devils and Details: hydrology and conservation ecology in small, calcareous, groundwater-fed fens
- Newham Fen NNR, Northumberland – an example of GDE complexities?
- Projecting uncertain impacts of climate change on wetlands: a risk-based web tool for England and Wales
- Decadal changes in shallow groundwater regime leading to biodiversity loss in a lowland floodplain meadow
- Simulating the impact of regional groundwater changes on raised bog eco-hydrology
- Coastal dune wetlands in England and Wales: Understanding rainfed groundwater dependent ecosystems to underpin conservation management
- Mega-scale restoration of alkaline and calcareous groundwater-dependent fen communities, Cors Erddreiniog, Anglesey
- Groundwater: the hidden groundwater dependent ecosystem
- Refining conceptual and numerical models of groundwater-surface water interactions in areas of complex superficial geology: A case study from the Upper Colne Catchment, Hertfordshire
- Waun Fawr- an investigation into high nutrients in a groundwater dependent ecosystem
- Integrated groundwater & ecological assessment of abstraction impact on an urban pond & river system in south London
- An integrated hydro-ecological approach to the identification of sensitive groundwater dependent terrestrial ecosystems within wind farm Environmental Impact Assessment
- Calcareous, groundwater-fed fens in England: distribution, ecology and conservation
- Subterranean biodiversity: ecology of a Chalk aquifer
- Rusland Valley mosses restoration: hydrogeology, hydro-ecology and landscape visualisation
- Groundwater abstraction impact and long-term vegetation community survival in Greywell Fen, Hampshire